Sunday, September 27, 2009

Winner at Heart


September 12, 2009 was our first lost.  It taught me a life long lesson.  The game was a pretty tough game and I would say that most of our guys had already lost even before they touch the field.  See all week the head coach kept saying how hard this team was to beat, and that they had never beat them before and how fast and strong they were.  If our leaders do not believe we can do it how do our children believe they can do it.  I really think we had the potential and definitely we have the talent on our team to have beat the Norfolk Saints, but in reality we did not.  After the game the older more competitive boys on our team were crying because they were so upset for there defeat.  And my son he was so happy and excited.  He was saying "how great the game was and how fun it was".  I looked at him and asked him if he knew that his team lost.  And he looked straight at me with these big happy brown eyes and said:  No body got past me,  I did a great job and that means I didn't lose.  I had to smile and said you are right son.  I could have told him it was a team sport and when one loses they all lose, but I think what he said taught me a lesson that I should learn to apply in my life more often,  even though you did not get the outcome you wanted, it is how you played the game.  Therefore, I am glad he walked off that field with his head held high and a big smile on his face.  Because he is a winner at heart at all the things  he does, because he does them to the best of his abilities which means he will never be defeated. What more can a father ask for.  

1 comment:

Nikia, May and da kids said...

Whats up with the coach? POSITIVE reinforcement! Doesn't matter if you win or lose at that age, because losing is an opportunity to learn how to be gracious. You can still celebrate the fact that the kids play a sport and are good sports when they lose.